SMFD No. 3 1936

The South Manchester Fire Department No. 3 was built built by the Cheney Brothers at 153 Spruce Street in 1923. The fire trucks used by the Department in the 1930's were 1926 American LaFrance models of both a hook-and-ladder and pumper.

The SMFD left the firehouse in 1967, and for many years the building was mainly a storage facility and not utilized often. In 2011, the space was remodeled and was rechristened the East Side Public Safety Youth Center, including the Manchester Police Explorers, the Block Watch, the Manchester Youth Commission, the Citizens Emergency Response Team, and the art gallery "Gallery 153."

Prints & Products